Global trends for service providers show stagnant revenues and declining margins in areas such as broadband subscriptions, while Over-the-Top (OTT) players grow their share of the pie. To remain relevant and profitable, service providers must provide their customers a competitive advantage – especially their small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) customers. Guest Wi-Fi is on the rise and is a service increasingly valued by SMBs of all sectors. This creates a new opportunity for service providers to generate significant revenue and margins, leveraging the possibilities offered by OTT services.
A challenging environment for service providers
Service providers everywhere are facing intensifying competition in broadband, voice and mobile, and video delivery. As broadband markets saturate, service providers’ survival increasingly depends on their ability to evolve business models and add new and attractive services.
To face this challenge, service providers must strengthen their market position by offering more relevant and innovative services, especially to SMBs that have traditionally been neglected in favor of larger enterprise customers.
Give SMB customers what they want
SMBs have their own challenges to tackle. SMBs are being increasingly squeezed by online commerce giants and are pressured to continuously adapt to the fast-changing needs of sophisticated and always-connected customers. In order to retain existing customers and attract new ones, SMBs must rethink the on-site customer experience and start embracing and integrating online components.
Guest Wi-Fi, if deployed and managed properly, can help SMBs reach these marketing and business objectives.
Guest Wi-Fi benefits for SMBs
Guest Wi-Fi helps SMBs remain relevant. By offering customers in-venue Wi-Fi connectivity, SMBs can:
- Build their brand. SMBs want to provide their customers an easy-to-use, branded welcome portal to the Internet, which also makes onboarding an instant and positive experience.
- Grow their business. Guest Wi-Fi brings SMBs the marketing and customer engagement capabilities to stay relevant in the digital economy.
- Understand and target consumers. Services from guest Wi-Fi enable SMBs to better understand customer behavior, such as number of visits, length of visits, retention rate, and so on.
Who will supply SMBs with the right guest Wi-Fi service?
Ideally, SMBs will buy guest Wi-Fi from a service provider they already know and trust, one that is competent and professional, and has their best business interest at heart.
Existing service providers have cards to play – massive customer reach, control of the best quality public networks, deep knowledge of subscribers’ behavior, expertise in managing large numbers of devices and users, and also billing – deep customer relationship often come with a carrier bill.
Guest Wi-Fi benefits for service providers
Currently, guest Wi-Fi technology providers have targeted SMBs directly, rather than offer service providers a white label solution. With an OTT services platform, service providers can quickly deploy guest Wi-Fi and either sell on top of their existing services or expand to new markets. This drives a new revenue stream to service providers in many ways:
- Opening a New Dialog with the SMB Customer – Guest Wi-Fi is something all prospects understand and is an easy solution for sales teams to learn and communicate to prospects. The cross-selling, upselling, and down-selling opportunities with guest Wi-Fi are extensive.
- Retaining the SMB Customer Base – By empowering SMB customers with the marketing and customer engagement capabilities they need to stay relevant, guest Wi-Fi helps service providers attract and retain SMBs.
- Expanding the SMB Customer Base – By leveraging guest Wi-Fi OTT architecture, service providers can overlay this cloud-based service to any SMB with broadband Internet. For service providers with heterogeneous network platforms, this is an ideal solution.
- Delivering Tiered Program Packages for SMBs’ Specific Needs – Guest Wi-Fi lets service providers deliver various levels of offerings, but can also give flexibility to the SMB, letting them select their own service package.
Now is the time for guest Wi-Fi
Service providers now have a huge business opportunity to offer guest Wi-Fi to SMBs in retail, hospitality, restaurant – any sector where customers want to get connected. With guest Wi-Fi, service providers can generate significant revenues and margins by leveraging the possibilities offered by OTT services.
Contact us to find out how you can strengthen and expand your carrier business with SMBs through guest Wi-Fi.